On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org> wrote:

> My procedure for doing this kind of thing is similar but avoids the last
> merge step

It is the question whether we want to have the merge commit, or we don't
want it.

If a feature consists of 20 small changes, it might be more useful to have
a single merge commit on the master branch instead of 20 to avoid
cluttering.

> git checkout mybranch
> # Make sure the history here is the way I want it to be, e.g.:
> git log
> git rebase -i HEAD~5

That's `git merge-base master`.

By the way, this doesn't always work. The kill-gettext branch, for
instance, has master merged in a few times to fix merge conflicts. Now,
rebasing onto the merge-base does do no good.

> # Now rebase against master
> git rebase master

You could just as well had rebased to master in the previous step (avoiding
the problem I stated above).

Vincent