Georg Baum wrote:

> stefano franchi wrote:
>
> > Also, I had a quick look at the equation editor for LibreOffice (the
> > LO's Math component accessible from Insert>>Object>>Formula). It seems
> > incredibly primitive. But perhaps it's just the interface that gives
> > that impression. Before I spend some time getting into it, could
> > anyone confirm that LO's Math is actually the proper module to create
> > equations in LibreOffice? Or are there other ways (e.g importing them
> > from outside programs)?
>
> Unfortunately I don't know.

Alternatively one can type the formula code in the text like
a sup 2 + b sup 2 = c sup 2
select that code and choose "insert - object - formula".

Or you open AAO Math or LO Math. You get three windows, the left one
containing the graphical interface, the upper right the displayed
formula, the lower right the text syntax.

AOO and LO help contain a comprehensive list of the formula sytax:
in Help - Formulas - General Information - Math Features
there is a hyperlink pointing to the reference list.
Examples:
a over b
sum from{0} to{n} x_{i}
int from{0} to{ infinity } x^{2}