On 03/19/2014 10:49 AM, Vincent van Ravesteijn wrote:
On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
<lasgout...@lyx.org> wrote:
18/03/2014 23:12, Vincent van Ravesteijn:

Apparently rebasing onto master didn't go without problems. The merge
conflicts were mainly caused by your recent commit "Whitespace only".
That's not the wisest thing to do if you have a branch touch a lot of
code in the same area.

But, it was easily fixed.

I've push the rebased branch to str-metrics-rebased.

Thanks a lot. I have done some more rewriting/reordering/fixup of commits
and am not down to 19 commits. I will stop here since separating stuff
becomes too complicated.

Just a question: the first commit of the branch seems to be
c192745268dc96ba, which does not belong here. Did I misinterpret something
in the qgit output?
Conceptually, there is not really a first commit of the branch. The
first commit of the branch would be one that is something like 15
years old. What you mean by "the first  commit", is probably the first
commit that is in the str-metrics branch and which is not in the
master branch. The last commit in the master branch in the features
repository is 264ea28c, so it is lacking behind the master branch in
the lyx repository. That's why qgit probably gives you the impression
that c192745 is in your branch.

If you agree that the branch is in a good enough state, then I will copy it
back tofeatures/str-metrics.
It looks good. When I pushed it yesterday it wouldn't compile because
you recently introduced a call to a function that you renamed in this
branch, but I assume you fixed it.

It would be a good time to introduce a testing framework and write
some tests for the functions you mangled ;) (I know you don't like
that).

How do I do that?
You can either reset str-metrics:

$ git checkout str-metrics
$ git reset --hard str-metrics-rebased
$ git push features str-metrics

or you can just overwrite the str-metrics branch with the
str-metrics-rebased branch by:

$ git checkout str-metrics-rebased
$ git push features str-metrics-rebased:str-metrics

Alternatively, you can just push a new branch. I don't see any reason to worry
about their being multiple branches for a single feature.

Indeed, in future we might want to have a sort of namespace for these features
branches, so they had names like:
    str-metrics/main-v1
    str-metrics/main-v2
and so forth.

And all that can be deleted, if we wish, once it is pushed to lyx.git.

Richard