Am 29.03.2014 18:43, schrieb Vincent van Ravesteijn:
Uwe Stöhr schreef op 29-3-2014 5:26:
While stepping through all template files I noticed that LyX informs me on
opening the RJournal
template file that the package "msc" is missing. The attached simple patch
fixed this.

OK to master or better LyX 2.1.1?

I don't understand. When I start a new document based on the RJournal template,
it needs
"bibtex/bib/msc/biblio.bib" from the msc package.

Oh, I see now. So msc is indeed not needed.

This is because the template file has a
bibliography called "biblio". The only citation in the document is an example
citation. We can just
add a sample citation to xampl.bib as we do for other templates.

Yes, we should do this. OK that I put this in?

Question 1.
What has this to do with "msc.sty".

Apparently nothing ;-)

Question 2.
If a template needs a certain package, why would we then add this to the layout
file ? Should the
layout not only care about the document class and the RJournal.sty file instead
?

We once agreed to list in the layout files all sty-files that are required by the cls-file the layout is for. A template should be designed so that it does not need other packages than the ones required by the cls-file.

Question 3.
I tried the RJournal class myself. Of course I had to download the sty file,
and I had to remove the
knitr dependency. Now on compilation it appeared I needed: "inconsolata.sty" (a
font not even
provided by my MikTeX version), "environ.sty", "trimspace.sty". Shouldn't these
be added to the
layout file ?

In principle, yes. Scott, can you please have a look and add the sty.files required by the rjournal class?

If we do so, shouldn't we then add all packages other than those that are
checked for
in configure.py ?

Taking care what is already checked in chkconfig.ltx is a lot of unnecessary extra work. It doesn't harm that the same sty-file is checked twice.

--------
(I must admit that I was in a hurry yesterday and never touched the new RJournal template before (Scott contributed it).)

regards Uwe