Am 30.03.2014 21:48, schrieb Vincent van Ravesteijn:

You will always find a case when it can fail. if the user changes something
manually we will be
lost anyway. He might have deleted the uninstaller or removed LyX's registry
settings or whatever.
This is like when you have problems with you car and remove a cable from the
battery. The nowadays
wide-spread car diagnosis toll will then fail.

It seems a very valid case that someone deletes the "C:\Program Files
(x86)\LyX21" directory to
uninstall a not working LyX expecting that he can install again.

OK, then the installer first needs to check if a previous LyX is in the registry but its files are not there. This can be done. I will put that on my to do list, see below.

It's like getting rid of the old broken car because you have problems with it,
and the car salesmen
tell you they cannot sell you a new one because you've bought a car before.

Indeed. Sometimes these kind of examples open eyes ;-).

We have discussed a lot the last days but I will not have the time to implement that for LyX 2.1final. I will try to do that for 2.1.1. I have now 2 points on my to do list:

- add a decision message box when the user tries to install over the same sable
release
- implement that LyX can install if there are traces of a former installation in the registry but the files were removed
- don't change the MiKTeX setting about package installation when it is set to
"No"

Did I miss some thing?

thanks and regards
Uwe