Cyrille Artho <c.ar...@aist.go.jp> writes:

> Liviu Andronic wrote:
>> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
>> <lasgout...@lyx.org> wrote:
>>> 22/05/2014 08:09, Cyrille Artho:

>>> Yes, I depend on foils to. I tried beamer for my last presentation
>>> (because I needed its slide animation features), but I really did not
>>> like it. Too much bling for my taste.
>>>
>> I also have issues with all the bling that comes with Beamer by
>> default, but with some few Beamer config tweaks all the bling can be
>> toned down significantly. This is why I came up with a series of
>> "simple" Beamer examples on the wiki:
>> http://wiki.lyx.org/Examples/Beamer

I just wanted to take a look at them, and all produce an error when
opening from LyX (LyX Version 2.1.0 (13 Apr 2014)) on a Mac.

,----

/var/folders/50/wcr5bjwn75q595n6x82gxj280000gn/T/lyx_tmpdir.twUHvMRS5559/Buffer_convertLyXFormatXXXXXX.lyx.kSameUIi5559
| ended unexpectedly, which means that it is probably corrupted.
`----

I though that the conversion by lyx2lyx is the problem, but that one
works without problems.

I attach the converted file (from [1]).

Ironically, all non-simple beamer presentations open without
error... conspiracy? :-)

Cheers,

Rainer

>> Most changes are obtained very easily via simple Beamer calls in the
>> Preamble.
>>
>> Liviu
>>

>>> OTOH, I reckon that foilTeX slides can be a bit ugly, and I'd welcome
>>> another option.
>>>
>>> JMarc
>>>
> Hi Liviu,
> Thanks for the links. IMHO even the "simple" style is rather heavyweight
> for the boxes (with shadows etc.). I think the trend is now towards
> cleaner, simpler layouts with no 3 D effects, and only as few
> lines/boxes/frames/background colors as absolutely needed.
> In that sense, what was done by necessity 15 years ago when doing slides in
> LyX/TeX is now again in fashion ;-)
>
> Why FoilTeX works for me (sorry if this is getting off-topic):
>
> For my own slides, I change the bullet symbol and title color in FoilTeX
> but otherwise use it without changes. Whenever possible, I avoid bullet
> lists in the first place but of course I don't always have enough time to
> get rid of enumerations. I never use "striptease slides" as the audience
> tends to squint, trying to read the grey text on white, while not listening
> to the speaker. IMHO if you use a "striptease slide", then you have failed
> in the design and should create 2 - 3 separate (but incremental) slides
> instead. Note that these may repeat a figure (with modifications) but
> should not repeat the entire text as you'd otherwise again end up with a
> wall of text.
>
> In short, beamer can make a wall of text look relatively pretty, and
> this may work for a couple of minutes, but after that one realizes
> again that walls of text are not suitable for presentations. Without
> that, the most compelling features of beamer are not needed anymore.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/Examples/Beamer/Liv/beamer-simple.lyx

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University