On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Kornel Benko <kor...@lyx.org> wrote:
> Am Montag, 15. September 2014 um 14:48:32, schrieb Scott Kostyshak
> <skost...@lyx.org>

>> > IMHO, if bibtex exits with errors, the compilation _is_ not OK, so
>> > the users should get appropriate error message (and break compilation).
>>
>> Six out of seven days I wake up and I agree. But one day a week I
>> think about the LyX user who upgrades and the document stops
>> compiling. It's a regression from the point of view of the user.
>
> In this sense, if we correct some bad behaviour, it would be a regression too.
> I am not ready to adopt this view :)

For discussion on a very similar topic (possibly a specific case of
the fix proposed here), see this discussion:
https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg183570.html
We received a lot of reports that "LyX doesn't compile my document
anymore". Vincent made the reasonable decision to suggest reverting
the bug fix and a couple of other developers agreed.

Are you opposed to the approach suggested there, which is to give a
warning in the next major release and in the warning state "in the
next version this will be an error and your document will not
compile"?

Scott