On 09/17/2014 11:04 AM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org> wrote:
On 09/17/2014 10:30 AM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Kornel Benko <kor...@lyx.org> wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 17. September 2014 um 09:06:00, schrieb Scott Kostyshak
<skost...@lyx.org>
On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Kornel Benko <kor...@lyx.org> wrote:
Am Montag, 15. September 2014 um 14:48:32, schrieb Scott Kostyshak
<skost...@lyx.org>
IMHO, if bibtex exits with errors, the compilation _is_ not OK, so
the users should get appropriate error message (and break
compilation).
Six out of seven days I wake up and I agree. But one day a week I
think about the LyX user who upgrades and the document stops
compiling. It's a regression from the point of view of the user.
In this sense, if we correct some bad behaviour, it would be a
regression too.
I am not ready to adopt this view :)
For discussion on a very similar topic (possibly a specific case of
the fix proposed here), see this discussion:
https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg183570.html
We received a lot of reports that "LyX doesn't compile my document
anymore". Vincent made the reasonable decision to suggest reverting
the bug fix and a couple of other developers agreed.
I understood it that way, that the fix were postponed only.
          Quoting Vincent:
                  "Then, if we succeed to quickly release the next major
release we can
                   error out on BibTeX errors as we do now."
Well you do not quote the part right before that which says
"as soon as possible we replace the error by a warning when we detect
a BibTeX error stating that in the future this will lead to an error."
- I interpret this to mean that first we need a released LyX version
with the warning. I also supposed that it was meant a major version.

I think that meant we could do it in a minor version. Like the next one. And
I think it's a good idea.
I'm fine with this but only because I'm fine with not going through
the warning phase. I think there are very few LyX users that install
consecutive minor versions. Out of the 10 or so people I know running
LyX, the median LyX version is probably 2.0.5. Also, anyone on a Linux
distribution installing from their repos will have a few minor
versions skipped.

I guess that depends upon the distro: http://oswatershed.org/pkg/lyx.

So I officially suggest that we do the following: For 2.1.3, we add the warning;
for 2.2.0, we add the error.

Richard