On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:30:36AM +0200, Enrico Forestieri wrote:

> Please note that the patch you propose is not changing anything.
> You simply force the use of unicode symbols through the math panels.
> However, if a user directly inputs \AA this is now displayed in red,
> even if it is entered in a text mode environment. One has to save
> and reload the file to actually see that symbol. Moreover, note
> that saving and reloading also solves the problem occurring without
> your patch that those symbols are enclosed in \ensuremath [1]. Try it.

I forgot to explain why this is so. When a file is loaded, the
replacements in lib/unicodesymbols are applied. Thus, if one enters
\AA in a textmode environment, when the file is reloaded it gets
replaced by Å which is not a MathMacro and thus is not enclosed
in \ensuremath. But, if \AA is entered in a math mode environment, no
replacement takes place. It would stay in red with Günter's patch
and would cause latex errors. Instead, with the patch I propose the
macro is diplayed as Å and enclosed in a text mode environment, thus
avoiding compile errors.

--
Enrico