On 2015-09-18, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 01:19:16PM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:

> I don't think that we will arrive at a conclusion by continuing this
> discussion. It is clear that your view is irreconcilable with mine.
> To proceed any farther, this issue has to be decided by voting.

I agree that we need a decision on the way how to handle text-only
commands in mathed and that this should be a decision backed by the
developer community.

I see that there are problems with both approaches.
Advantages and problems have been discussed in this thread and on
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9742

There may be combinations or other alternatives to the two proposals.
(\mathdegree instead of \textdegree, wrapping

> Either departing along your view or following the way mathed has been
> developed so far.

IMV, both proposals can be seen as departing/continuation of the current
course:

9742-2.diff
  -> gives up the principle that LyX math syntax = LaTeX math syntax
  ^  retains "\<command> " input method for selected text commands in mathed
     (treats it as a logical extension of the mathed input concept).

textcommands-in-math.patch
  -> removes patchy support for a few text-commands as input method
     in mathed (treats it as problematic side effect, not intended feature).
  ^  retains mathed as *math* editor.

> Note that you cannot solve all the problems your patch
> introduces by simply editing lib/symbols and lib/unicodesymbols.

I know. (But I see the problems with the alternative approach, too.)

Günter