Le 06/10/2015 17:13, Pavel Sanda a écrit :
Guillaume Munch wrote:
Le 04/10/2015 23:20, Guillaume Munch a écrit :
Dear list,

Has there been some discussion already about allowing UTF-8 in
the source code, in particular for translatable strings? Is this
 something we long for?

Guillaume

Seeing how there is unanimous interest, here's a proof of concept.

Please read the commit log carefully including the rationale and
the "TODO". Skip the first third regarding string updates (yes I
can make them in a separate patch).

While the subject of the patch may seem trivial, I think that
setting this up is a good investment for future use of Unicode in
the interface.

I'm trying to come up with examples where do we actually "need"
unicode in the interface. The ellipsis case seems to be trivial
indeed.

Properly formatted text in general, not just proper ellipses…
A revamped IPA toolbar?
The math toolbar?
See also src/frontends/qt4/ui/HSpaceUi.ui in the patch.

Of all programs, if LyX does not need an Unicode interface, which
program does? I am sure you will be able to come up with creative uses.

LyX already uses a ton of Unicode chars, defined by hand with their code
point. This patch makes it easier to use Unicode in the source, and
enables special chars in translation strings as well.

And the patch is free.

So except that I can't use my keyboard directly for ellipsis

Well, Mac and Linux users can. For Windows, I do not know.

and worry what happens with python 2.x what are the gains actually?

Nothing wrong will happen with python 2.x. The patch does not touch the Python string literals, and it already support UTF-8 translated strings if that was needed because all languages apart from English are already written in UTF-8.

Pavel

... Or are guys secretly preparing for turning GUI into French? :)

Of course I would let you know one week in advance if that was the case.

Thanks for the feedback

Guillaume