On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 09:48:52PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Le 08/10/15 03:19, Cyrille Artho a écrit :
> >It's possible to embed characters from a font in an SVG graph; this
> >could be used to avoid problems with fonts that do not have all math
> >characters.
>
> I seem to remember (but git log is your friend) that these icon started
> their life with embedded fonts, and that they were transformed to something
> else later.
>
> But only Enrico can tell us what the status is.

I don't think they were embedded as they looked different on different
platforms. They were replaced with paths, i.e., a vectorial representation
of the used characters, so that they appear the same on any platform as
they were originally intended. This can be done with inkscape: after
inserting some text using a specific font, it can be transformed into a
path by a menu entry.

--
Enrico