After more looking around, I see that Apple recommends the ellispsis
character:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/TerminologyWording.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-CH15-SW3

Gnome seems to prefer ellipsis character too:
https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/writing-style.html.en#ellipses

Microsoft does not say anything, but their examples use ...:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn742392.aspx

I think for UI guidelines, if Apple and Gnome recommend A, and Microsoft recommends B, then A is definitely the right way. ;-)

I think it's important to consider that in many languages, three dots is just plain wrong, so we should do things the proper way.

Seriously, I think this is just going to annoy our translators. Seriously,
who knows how to get an ellipsis on his/her keyboard?

It's trivial. Character viewer -> Punctuation -> there it is right away.
If you type it often you can look up the keyboard shortcut.

I could propose to hack it into the menu code...

I general, our source code is already UTF8 (in particular author names in
.cpp files), but I am not sure that adding weird characters in the source
is always helpful. I would not swear that there only one character looking
like an ellipsis in unicode standard.

 > Properly formatted text in general, not just proper ellipses…
 > A revamped IPA toolbar?
 > The math toolbar?
 > See also src/frontends/qt4/ui/HSpaceUi.ui in the patch.

Please note that we have to be very careful with unicode characters. At
some times I advocated using the proper unicode visible space character in
our documentation, but it turned out that several windows font did not have
that. You do not want to force users to use such or such font in their text
editor.

Then maybe we can try to prevent a user configuration LyX with such strange fonts. Fonts without important characters are a relic of the past, and sooner or later even Windows will adapt.

Of all programs, if LyX does not need an Unicode interface, which
program does? I am sure you will be able to come up with creative uses.

LyX needs an interface that blends well with the environment where it runs.

Unicode characters in some menus (math panel etc.) would indeed look much better than pixelated bitmaps.
--
Regards,
Cyrille Artho - http://artho.com/