On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 08:18:30PM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:

> I realised that this not only applies to compilation with Xe/LuaTeX which
> is a good thing -- it also catches cases like small letters missing in
> most math-script fonts (To fix the description in lib/RELEASE-NOTES, just
> trim the sentence.)

I made the change (although you are most welcome to edit the
RELEASE-NOTES).

> > Without this fix, users might not be aware that their compiled PDF will
> > not show some characters. Although some users might be annoyed by
> > seeing errors they did not see before, (1) it is important to give
> > these errors to them so they know about the problem and (2) there is a
> > "Show Output Anyway" button so if they want to view their PDF as they
> > did in 2.1.x, they still can.
>
> This are the two new features I like most.
>
> > Fixing #9744 would have the following advantages:
> > 1. It would allow fixing some of the missing glyphs errors. It is not
> > clear how many users will run into this particular issue (see Günter's
> > comment here: http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9610#comment:18).
>
> > 2. It would fix compilation of the manuals, as well as many of our
> > tests.
>
> I am afraid that while this change will prevent compilation errors, the
> result is different from before, so any tests that compare the output (or
> the tex file) must be adapted.

Actually the tests are not that sophisticated. They just check whether
the compilation runs without error (ie it checks the exit code from
command-line export)

> I have a partial fix for the "Xe/LuaTeX with TeX-fonts" problem. The fix
> prevents compilation errors with luatex and improves he situation a bit
> for xetex (the difference is, that there is "luainputenc" but no
> "xetexinputenc" in TeXLive and the standard "inputenc" package currently
> refuses to work with xetex unless the encoding is utf8).
>
> Should I commit the patch or wait?

Please commit.

And if you ever want to experiment and know the results of the tests
before committing, let me or Kornel know (or both).

Scott