On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
<lasgout...@lyx.org> wrote:
> Le 06/11/2015 10:06, Stephan Witt a écrit :
>>
>> In this sense there is no need to reduce the likely-hood of merge
>> conflicts
>> with the state of change tracking. It's not a setting to toggle often,
>> IMHO.
>

> Well, since some people do change it often (if only to piss off their
> co-author :), we could try to see how to mitigate the problem IMO.
>
> JMarc

Using change tracking continuously will make a huge mess of your
document. Imagine moving a float one paragraph down, none of your
co-authors cares probably (as the float is floating anyway), but the
on the screen it clutters everything. I always have to take care to
accept the stuff not really relevant for my co-authors to review, such
that they focus on the parts that changed meaning or not. I often
disable change tracking when fixing small things, when incorporating
previous feedback from co-authors, when doing LyX/LaTeX special stuff,
when writing a large new paragraph (it hurts the eyes looking at that
as change) and afterwards I will either cut and paste it to show that
it is added or my coauthors will know that that part is new.

Then, the LyX documentation is supposed to be _the_ workflow in which
the current setting of track changes is optimal. Looking in Math.lyx,
and UserGuide.lyx in master and in 2.1.x, they all have
"\track_changes false". So, it is not working like it is now.

I'm not against having a document setting whether the document is
using track changes or not, I'm just against storing whether I
accidentally had it enabled or not when I saved the document.

Vincent