Scott Kostyshak wrote:

> I have not followed the #9744 discussion closely or looked at Georg's
> recent work, so my following suggestion might be irrelevant now, but in
> any case:
>
> Would it make sense to check the box "Use non-TeX fonts" by
> default, and then change the full string from
> "Use non-TeX fonts (via XeTeX/LuaTeX)"
> "Use non-TeX fonts (if XeTeX/LuaTeX)"
> ?

That would only make sense if also the behaviour is changed (otherwise the
"if" in the full string would be wrong).

> This would make the default to be the most advised one, and also would
> allow compilation with pdfTeX.

This suggestion is essentially identical with the automatic setting proposed
by Günter + removal of the current fixed "I definitely want non-TeX fonts".
The problems arise because of the automatic, not because of keeping the
current possibilities, so this proposal would not be better in this aspect.

Georg