Am Sonntag, 22. November 2015 um 19:22:42, schrieb Georg Baum
<georg.b...@post.rwth-aachen.de>
> Guenter Milde wrote:
>
> > On 2015-11-21, Kornel Benko wrote:
> >> Am Samstag, 21. November 2015 um 10:27:36, schrieb Georg Baum
> >> <georg.b...@post.rwth-aachen.de>
> >
> > I don't see the advantage at the current state of our "test suite".
> >
> > * we don't run the tests automatically (by chron script or triggered by
> > any
> >   commit or on a dedicated test server) (while this would be an
> >   interesting option).
> >
> > * we don't have a separate set of tests to be run manually
>
> We do have some in development/mathmacros/. They contain instructions and
> test cases for manual testing of math macros.
>
> > * we don't have that many tests.
>
> This is all no difference to KDE. There are projects with only autotests,
> only manual tests, and I did not yet see one with more than a hand full of
> tests. Still, there is a common structure, for each project it is
> immediately clear where to look for certain tests, and if tests are extended
> in the future it is clear how to do it. This does all apply to LyX as well.
>
> > Keep it simple now, adapt later if necessary.
>
> My first idea was to keep it simple, and to change the test machinery as
> little as possible. That triggered opposition, because of the mixture of
> tests and other stuff in lib (which is already there BTW, look at lyx2lyx).
>
> Then I suggested a single top level directory for tests, and I got
> opposition because it is too general.
>
> Then I tried to implement the two level structure that was suggested on the
> list, and it turned out that it does not work, because the current test
> machinery is not prepared for tests from different top level directories
> using the same name for subdirectories. In addition, this is now seen as too
> complicated, so we are back to the beginning.

It is prepared now. I just did not add 'autotests/xy' to the list.

> I do not care whether the new dedicated export tests are implemented in a
> simple and suboptimal way, or whether we do first prepare for the future and
> re-organize the tests. What I do not like at all is to have a suboptimal
> solution that does still require some reorganization. This would be the
> combination of the drawbacks of both approaches. I would be happy with any
> of the two following solutions:
>
> 1) lib/tests/ (or any new directory not at top level) just for new dedicated
> export tests (will cause problems in cmake if other tests than export tests
> are added)

True, but the top-level is free for you.

> 2)
>   - autotests/export/ for export tests (does not work with the current test
> machinery)

It is now possible.
All the tests there will be labeled by 'autotests' (additionally to label
'export').

>   - autotests/functional/ for the compiled tests that are currently
> scattered in src
>   - other subdirectories below autotests (for lyx2lyx, roundtrip etc) could
> be added in the future
>   - tests/ for manual tests
>
> What do others think? I'd like a decision soon, because this is blocking the
> work on language nesting bugs.

I think autotests/export is just fine. The test-names look a little scary, e.g.
        'export/export/somefile_pdf4_texF'

> Georg

        Kornel