On 2015-11-22, Georg Baum wrote:
> Guenter Milde wrote:
>> On 2015-11-21, Kornel Benko wrote:
>>> Am Samstag, 21. November 2015 um 10:27:36, schrieb Georg Baum
>>> <georg.b...@post.rwth-aachen.de>

>> I don't see the advantage at the current state of our "test suite".

> This is all no difference to KDE. There are projects with only autotests,
> only manual tests, and I did not yet see one with more than a hand full of
> tests. Still, there is a common structure, for each project it is
> immediately clear where to look for certain tests, and if tests are extended
> in the future it is clear how to do it. This does all apply to LyX as well.

Agreed.

> I would be happy with any of the two following solutions:

> 1) lib/tests/ (or any new directory not at top level) just for new dedicated
> export tests (will cause problems in cmake if other tests than export tests
> are added)

Don't like this, as binary LyX packages (*.deb, *.rpm) should ship with lib/
but not with tests.

> 2)
>   - autotests/export/ for export tests (does not work with the current test
> machinery)
>   - autotests/functional/ for the compiled tests that are currently
> scattered in src
>   - other subdirectories below autotests (for lyx2lyx, roundtrip etc) could
> be added in the future
>   - tests/ for manual tests

I am fine with this. Alternatively just one top-level directory for tests:

   tests/
     autotests/
     manual/

+1 less "noise" in the repository root.

-1 "spurious" level as long as we don't fill the "manual/" test directory.

Thanks,

Günter