Dear all,

There is a question of whether we should release our binary for Windows
compiled against Qt 5.5.1 or 5.6.0.

My opinion is that we should release it with 5.5.1, unless there is a
known, significant issue that affects LyX for 5.5.1 *on Windows* and
that would be solved with 5.6.0.

There are two reasons behind my opinion. In general, I trust a point
release more and also I do not want to depend on there not being any
delays in the final Qt 5.6 release. The current scheduled date is
February 9th [1]. There have been many delays in the past (e.g. the beta
was delayed by more than 2 months) so I would not be surprised if there
were more in the future. Although it is true that LyX might be delayed
also for other reasons, we should not plan on this because that would
cause even further delays.

One reason that is against my opinion though, is that Qt 5.6 is going to
be a long-term release. It is not exactly clear how this will play out
since it is the first long-term release by Qt, from what I understand.
However, it would indeed (if there weren't the problems I mentioned
above) be nice to have the whole LyX 2.2.x series compiled against
5.6.x. For example, we might be able to upgrade from 5.6.0 to 5.6.2 from
e.g. LyX 2.2.4 to 2.2.5 with more confidence than e.g. 5.5.1 to 5.6.2.
However, I still think the points above outweigh this benefit.

What do others think?

Scott

[1]
https://wiki.qt.io/Qt-5.6-release