On 2016-01-18, Kornel Benko wrote:
> Am 18. Januar 2016 um 15:59:16, schrieb Guenter Milde <mi...@users.sf.net>

>> As a short measure, everyone running the tests and realizing an error
>> could/should add it to "suspiciousTests" as "todo" with a comment like
>> "fails at commit ....". This would help to narrow the possible breaking
>> commits.

> Correct me if I am wrong. Rephrasing the sentence:

> Everyone realizing an error is supposed to change the test.
> The error vanishes.

Almost.
I would phrase this so:

  Everyone realizing an error is supposed to change the test labelling
  patterns: invert the failing test and (at a minimum) give a comment
  about its first occurence.

  The export error is not reported in subsequent test runs.

The section "todo" in "suspiciousTests" (resulting in the label
inverted:todo or suspended:todo) is exactly for this kind of problems:

  * The failure is accnowledged and does not "pollute" further test runs.
  * Further action is required.

This is similar to a bug report: a bug report does not solve the problem
but is the right measure in case you realize something is broken but
don't have the ressources (time, knowledge) to fix this immediately:

  -> you record the problem and available information

  -> the issue is not solved but also not forgotten

Also similar to the bug reports, we have a backlog of unsolved issues:

+1 it allows us to prioritize
-1 it removes the urge to solve something fast

For inverted tests, the sublabels give a hint of importance (from high to
low to none) (see doc/Development.lyx, sec 3.3.1.6 "Inverted tests"):

   todo
     test failures that require attention:

   lyxbugs
     LyX bugs with a Trac number.

   ert
     Export failures due to "raw" LaTeX use in ERT or preamble code.

     "Wontfix" if demonstrating correct use and OK in the default output
     format.

   texissues
     Export fails due to LaTeX limitations like non-ASCII characters in
     verbatim or listings, incompatible packages, ...

     "Wontfix" if documents demonstrate correct use in the default output
     format:

   attic
     Documents in the attic.

     "Wontfix"