Guillaume Munch wrote:

> Le 21/02/2016 20:52, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
>> On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 06:06:14PM +0100, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
>>> I also don't see a reason why this cannot be done now since otherwise
>>> users of than languages would have to wait 2 more years until LyX 2.3.

Every LyX release in the past few years was further delayed by last-minute
requests like this one. If we stop these last-minute changes, and improve
the test coverage we can speed up the release process a lot.

Besides that, every LyX release misses some features that are important for
some users. The only way to avoid this is to throw a massive amount of
developer man power upon LyX, and we all know that this won't happen.

>> I agree that this is unfortunate. But the same is true for any feature.
>> The feature freeze was over two months ago. Now we are focusing only on
>> bug fixes. I do not think it would be fair to make an exception for this
>> patch.

Exactly. Such exceptions punish those who play by the rules and reward those
who ignore the rules. This does not mean that I don't like the support for
the new languages. It is a very good thing to have, just not right now.

> I would not be shocked if an exception was made. Uwe's point is that it
> is low risk/high reward and that being delayed until 2.3 is quite
> significant. I do not remember seeing another patch in this situation.

Because they have not been proposed. I have several easy features or bug
fixes I'd like to put in (e.g. http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/7404), but I
did not propose them after the freeze because I assumed that the freeze was
a freeze. Instead, I used my time for reviewing needed changes, and for
fixing show stopper bugs.

> * Is the lack of these languages easy to work around if the patch is
> postponed?

Yes. Load babel manually in the preamble, and disable the automatic loading
via preferences (language settings->language package=none)

> * Is there any risk that the settings might be wrong (especially in ways
> that cannot be fixed without another file format increase)?

Yes. For every new language we need a native speaker to verify that the
result is correct. For example, support for urdu was added at
http://www.lyx.org/trac/changeset/7eca5d94/lyxgit, and later it turned out
that it was completely unusable, so that it was removed again at
http://www.lyx.org/trac/changeset/cf9c7ad108fbc/lyxgit.

Georg