Hi Uwe,

I am offering my own reply since I do not think your messages deserved hostile responses.

Le 22/02/2016 23:40, Uwe Stöhr a écrit :
Am 22.02.2016 um 20:23 schrieb Georg Baum:

Le 21/02/2016 20:52, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 06:06:14PM +0100, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
I also don't see a reason why this cannot be done now since otherwise
users of than languages would have to wait 2 more years until LyX 2.3.

Every LyX release in the past few years was further delayed by
last-minute
requests like this one. If we stop these last-minute changes, and improve
the test coverage we can speed up the release process a lot.

Time is not important here. The question is if adding a feature makes
sense. This change is of low risk but opens LyX for a wider audience.
Ergo a big plus for the marketing. There is also nothing specially to
test and nothing that can be broken. (all are LTR languages with either
Latin or Cyrillic script). So the question is not the time a patch is
sent but its benefit.
I cannot speak any of the languages of my patch so it would not help me
personally. I see the obvious benefit and not yet a technical reason
against this. As my goal is to spread LyX it makes sense to support as
many languages as possible.

Thank you for this effort. As I gather, developers find it too risky
anyway at this stage of development.

Yes. For every new language we need a native speaker to verify that the
result is correct. For example, support for urdu was added at
http://www.lyx.org/trac/changeset/7eca5d94/lyxgit, and later it turned
out
that it was completely unusable, so that it was removed again at
http://www.lyx.org/trac/changeset/cf9c7ad108fbc/lyxgit.

You forget the other languages added by
http://www.lyx.org/trac/changeset/7eca5d94/lyxgit that work fine.
Take for example Hindi. This language was enabled with this patch and
people are using this (2 downloads a week of the dictionary for LyX). So
do you reapply prefer to wait until a native speaker gives his OK? Then
LyX would still not support Hindi. At first we need to attract users. If
e.g. a Macedonian user find a problem he will report it. If we don't
provide language support, we will most probably never have a Macedonian
LyX user.
Just for interest Bosnian is almost the same as Serbocroatian (the
language discussion in BiH is quite ridiculous, but OK as long as they
have peace, every party gets his "language".)

I am convinced by the details you gave; obviously you made your research before proposing this patch. However Georg more generally made the point that language support should be tested by a native speaker, which I would tend to agree, and obviously it is too late for that now.

Guillaume