On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Georg Baum
<georg.b...@post.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> One thing I noticed recently is the
> version suffix: Which autotools you can use an arbitrary one, with cmake you
> can only toggle between a predefined one or none at all, which is a problem
> if you want to compare two different builds of the same version with
> separate configurations (e.g. qt4/qt5 or different compiler settings).

If moving to cmake definitively would imply losing version suffix
functionality, this would be a big issue for my packaging arrangements
for Ubuntu builds.

Right now I keep master and branch daily builds (as well as
pre-releases) completely independent from stable LyX packages, which
allows people to blissfully install both stable and bleeding edge
versions on the same system, without worrying of corrupting their
production environment. Losing this will probably imply that we can
install only one build at a time on a given system, which will reduce
the testing opportunities for bleeding edge code....

Liviu

--
Do you think you know what math is?
http://www.ideasroadshow.com/issues/ian-stewart-2013-08-02