Kornel Benko wrote:

> Should we really ignore output of '${CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER} -dumpversion'?

In case of clang yes, since clang outputs an arbitrary number which has
nothing to do with the clang version. Sooner or later we will need clang
version tests as well (and then we will need to figure out how to get the
real clang version), but currently all clang versions meet our requirements.

> Some questions:
> 1.) What if the compiler is even older?
> or
> 2.) Should we in this case assume GCC_VERSION >= 4.9?
>
> One possible fix is appended.

I would prefer not to set GCC_VERSION at all when clang is used (this is
what autotools do). It is more clean, since clang is not gcc. For gcc the
current version check should be fine.

Georg