Hi Michael:

TeXlive can work because each is in a different folder and you are the one you decide on your route which you work (/usr/local/texlive/2013 or 2016).

I think that if you have installed an earlier version of lyx and install later, the lyx executable will be overwritten and the current work anymore.

Regards

Miguel from Spain