On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 04:28:11PM +0100, Guillaume Munch wrote:
> Le 18/07/2016 06:02, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
> > Attached is a patch with a detailed commit message, and a screenshot of
> > the paths preferences tab with the patch.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >

> Regarding the help text, one could just display the first sentence and
> have the rest in a tooltip. A "?" icon could let the user know that
> there is more information in the tooltip (see e.g.
> https://ux.stackexchange.com/a/76155). Just a thought.

Interesting idea. I like the idea for our current tooltips, because it
is impossible currently to know which of our widgets have a tooltip
associated with them. Just to take an example, in the preferences paths
tab, only the PATH prefix and TEXINPUTS prefix have tooltips, but there
is nothing that tells the user this. Further, the user has to know to
place the mouse over the text field. This makes sense, but I made the
mistake of first putting the mouse of the label.

As for this patch, I will put that in if others want it. I'm undecided.
On the one hand, it would save space. On the other hand, the space taken
up by the current description is not used by anything else. I'm open to
whatever others prefer.

Scott