On 2016-07-25, Guillaume Munch wrote:
> Le 24/07/2016 à 16:48, Jean-Pierre Chrétien a écrit :

>>> It has the same issue as Output: "save transient properties" controls
>>> the source file, rather than an output file.

>> Export covers this, as it controls "Export as LyX file" in a way.
>> And the dropdown menu in the LyX format submenu is the same as in
>> File->Export.

> I am not sure. Is there not actually an additional confusion possible
> with people who might be given to think that it is only for the Export
> menu and not saving?

Yes. "Normal" saving of a document as LyX file is (at least for me) not
export.

>>> (I have a similar issue with the "source panel": it should really be
>>> called "output panel".

I cannot follow this argument: the "source panel" shows various output
formats (TeX/HTML/LyX) in source form - (as opposed to a user agent
(browser) showing HTML in a presentational form or the LyX GUI window
showing the source in presentational/interactive form.

>> Calling it "source" is entirely inappropriate and propagates the false
>> impression that LyX intends to be a LaTeX editor.)

Not really - the "source panel" provides a (pre)view for both, the native LyX
format and various output formats.

>> I agree with this, what about "LaTeX export panel" instead (and "LaTeX
>> export as window title)?

> 1. no "LaTeX" since one can access any output format

Indeed: e.g. setting Format: LyXHTML and still having a panel header
"LaTeX Source" is odd.

> 2. either "output" or "export".

Why not "source view panel"? The panel

* shows the document in various formats in "raw text" / source form,

* allows only viewing, no editing (unfortunately).

> Actually having "Output" everywhere that we discussed would be
> self-consistent since the panel proposes the LyX format too. So
> "Output" would encompass the LyX files for both the "source view" and
> the output options (whereas "Export" would be meant for something
> distinct from saving). Because I appreciate consistency, this is now
> what I am considering, unless somebody has a better idea.

I still don't like the idea to summarise saving the lyx file and export
under "output".

> To come back to your original source of disagreement, I just noticed
> that "Format" is currently used in the source panel in the same way as I
> meant it, and is already translated into "Format" in French (but your
> problem was more a collision with « Format local » maybe).

IMV, the use of "Format" in the source pane is correct and unambiguous.

Günter