> If there is a hyperlink inset, LyX seems to use hyperref regardless of
> whether "use hyperref support" is checked in document settings. I was
> initially surprised by this (I did not know that the particular document
> used hyperlink insets), although when I realized that hyperlink insets
> were used the behavior of course makes sense.
>
> Currently LyX says "Customize Hyperref Options" if the document class
> provides hyperref. Would it be difficult to extend fa19ec6f to say
> "Customize Hyperref Options" if LyX is going to use hyperref because of
> features within the document, such as an included hyperref inset?

Probably not. We would just need to check if hyperref is requested.

> Would we want that?
>
> Trying to think of alternatives to address potential confusion, I only
> came up with having a string in document > settings > PDF Properties
> saying something like "currently this document will use hyperref because
> features in the document (e.g. hyperlinks) need it". But that seems a
> little verbose.
>
> Also, why is it "Use Hyperref Support" and not "Use Hyperref" ? I don't
> see what the word "Support" adds.

This is one of these LaTeXisms we want to avoid. I'd prefer something such
as "Enable Hypertext Features and Metadata" and "Customize Hypertext
Features and Metadata". We can mention the hyperref package in the tooltip.
Also note that these features are not only "PDF Properties". Hyperref
supports a wide range of other output formats (via its drivers, e.g. to
HTML and PS).

Jürgen