Le 25/01/2017 à 22:51, Guenter Milde a écrit :
On 2017-01-25, Enrico Forestieri wrote:

The appearance on screen is the same but we always output "--" and
"---", except on text exports where the unicode characters are output.
This should ensure maximum compatibility without cluttering the
preamble with strange constructs. After all, what matters is the
final pdf output and I very much prefer to have "--" and "---" in
the latex code rather than \textendash and \textemdash.

I recommend the lib/unicodesymbols patch below as simple fix for the line
wrapping problem.

This would still not enable input of a line of hyphen characters in
"normal" text, though but maybe pressing CTRL-M (or CTRL-P C) *before*
the input is an acceptable workaround.

With an LFUN instead of the hard-coded binding to "-" for the input
convention, a user can turn off the auto-dash feature without need for
an new special setting. Then, also the input of ----------------- becomes
easy --- at the expense of more complicated input of the dashes.

+1 for the idea of a LFUN set up as a default. In addition it would be
nice if EM-dash + dash = 4 dashes... if only it was clear that EM-dash =
---.

A problem seems to be, in LyX 2.1 there was a use for both
\texte(n/m)dash and --(-) according to
https://marc.info/?l=lyx-users&m=140982011101908&w=2 because of the
different line breaking behaviour. By assigning U+2014 to --- it
regresses wrt 2.1 for ease of insertion of \textemdash (resp. endash) which was done by inserting —.

Also it seems that \textemdash + break point has advantages wrt ---, e.g. hyphenation https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/56657/hyphenation-problem-with-versus-textemdash

So, a LFUN for - → – → — → ... is nice; one has to take seriously these line breaking issues (e.g. introduce blue dashes vs red dashes... this is getting complicated); and even with this distinction, --- is not without flaws...

No strong opinions. Looks like a difficult situation :)