Guenter Milde wrote:

> Not "perfect" (but maybe "satisfactory"): There may be issues with
> documents containing literal Unicode dashes: these may now have different
> line breaks.

If this is an issue then it was already an issue when format 481 was
introduced (because we changed -- to U+2013 and --- to U+2014 in the
conversion). Does the unicode standard really say something about
linebreaking, or does this rather come from the fact that we currently map
U+2013 to \textendash and U+2014 to \textemdash?

If native support for both versions of dashes (-- vs. \textendash in LaTeX)
is really needed then this should be done via a special char inset.

> It is not about "horrible look", but about WYSIWYM:
>
> Treat hyphens similar to other TeX ligatures (e.g. << and >>) and special
> characters:
>
> * show on screen what you will get in the output
>
> * escape in LaTeX export.
>
> If the LyX GUI shows "get the LyX version with `lyx --version`", I don't
> want a suprise `lyx –version` in the output.

This is the most important point IMO (and the very reason to introduce
format 481 which fixed https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/3647).

I have no strong opinion about the UI for entering en-dashes and em-dashes.
If there are better methods than the current one then the UI should change.

Georg