Am Montag, den 20.02.2017, 20:45 -0500 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 09:23:19AM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:
>
> > Missing \textipa could be intentional -- maybe this is "outsourced"
> > to a
> > Luatex package (for XeTeX, \textipa support is in xunicode.sty).
>
> Jürgen, do you have an idea? To reproduce on an updated TeX
> Live, compile the linguistics manual with LuaTeX and system fonts.

The reason is this. Up to v. 2.6, fontspec internally loaded xunicode
which defines the tipa environments. Although xunicode is only written
for XeTeX and terminates with a warning if XeTeX is not used, fontspec
pretended that XeTeX is used also for LuaTeX, by cheating on xunicode's
test (it just tests whether \XeTeXpicfile is defined. If it is, XeTeX
is assumed).

As of fontspec 2.6 and the introduction of the new TU font encodings,
xunicode is no longer loaded. Why does TIPA work nevertheless for us
with XeTeX? Since we (LyX) load xunicode ourselves for XeTeX+fontspec
(which we probably should not do anymore).

Workarounds:

1. Load fontspec with the "euenc" option. This loads the old
experimental unicode encodings (EU1 for XeTeX, EU2 for LuaTeX). This
also loads fontspec. The drawback is that the new TU encodings are not
used.

2. Load xunicode if TIPA is required. For LuaTeX, just do what fontspec
did -- cheat xunicode:

\def\XeTeXpicfile{}
\usepackage{xunicode}

This might break at some point (I don't know whether and where TU
encoding and xunicode will clash).

At the moment, option 2 seems the preferable workaround to me.

A real fix needs to be done upstream. I suppose a package specifically
for tipa with fontspec (derived from xunicode) or, even better, an
integration into the tipa package, would be desired. However, tipa has
not seen updates for a long time (it does not include all glyphs from
recent IPA revisions), so it is not very likely.

Note also that xunicode's tipa support has some flaws. For instance
\textbottomtiebar does not really work, as seen in the linguistics
manual (first IPA chunk).

> Perhaps we have to do load the tipa package if \textipa is not
> defined?
> This might work on both old and new TeX Live.

No, TIPA does not work with fontspec.

Jürgen