On 2017-04-06, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

> Dear all,

> There is a proposal to reorganize templates and examples folders. If we
> do want to do it, I think that soon would be a good time.

> To take a look at the proposal, check out:

>   http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/8715

Several points:

* The OP seems to miss the [examples] button in the File>Open dialogue.

  I am not sure how widely it is used. Actually, the line between an example
  and a template is sometimes blurry, there are documents that are suited
  for both.

  OTHOH, I would see examles as a part of the documentation - maybe instead of
  File>Open [Examples], they should be sorted under Help>Examples.

* Under Linux, the local templates are in ~/.lyx/templates
  I have set this as my templates path in Tools>Settings and
  in this dir a symlink to the standard templates.

Günter