Den 11. april 2017 19:05, skrev Guenter Milde:

* Under Linux, the local templates are in ~/.lyx/templates
   I have set this as my templates path in Tools>Settings and
   in this dir a symlink to the standard templates.
Nice trick - but user friendliness ought to be the default. When LyX is installed without tweaks, "new from template" will let you use the templates that come with LyX (Template button) or the "Documents" button which merely goes to the home folder. There is no easy way to get at custom templates stored in the standard location ~/.lyx/templates/

I don't know what limitations qt has, is there only two buttons possible on this dialog?
If so, the "new from template" dialog should have:
 [Std templates]   that go to the system templates as usual
 [Your templates] that go to ~/.lyx/templates/ instead of ~/

If this isn't possible due to qt constraints, please make [templates] go to ~/.lyx/templates and have tools->reconfigure create the symlink to the system template folder. That way, users will have easy access to both sets of templates without having to set anything up.

Lyx should be able to make new documents based on private or std. templates, without the user searching for either. And it should not be necessary to tweak the paths either. Tweaking paths is for those who have company templates in something like /mnt/server17/wordprocessing/templates/

Helge Hafting