I would like to see the following small change made to the script ext_copy.py for 2.3.0:

Currently it contains the lines:

# output directory
to_dir = args[1]
if targext != '.':
    to_dir += "." + targext

Change this to

# output directory
if targext == '+':
    to_dir = os.path.dirname(args[1])
else:
    to_dir = args[1]
    if targext != '.':
        to_dir += "." + targext

With the change, by using the option -t + this allows a file to be copied back to the document directory at the same level and not 'buried' in a subdirectory. Some years ago I asked about this and Richard explained the need to use a subdirectory to prevent the document directory being swamped by sundry files from html export. But there are other use cases. I have one in which a single file is copied back. Not to be able to place it directly in the document directory seems an arbitrary and unnecessary restriction. With my proposed change

python -tt $$s/scripts/ext_copy.py -e lyxdat -t + $$i $$o

copies <filename>.lyxdat back to the home directory of <filename>.lyx. Without the + option, ext_copy.py behaves as before. (Whether + is an appropriate character is moot. The natural one would perhaps be . but that is already used.)

Andrew

---