On 24/05/2017 9:24 p.m., José Abílio Matos wrote:
On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 03.51.55 WEST Scott Kostyshak wrote:

Any objection from anyone else?

Scott

Honestly the use of the plus sign as a special character seems unnatural
to me. :-)

My suggestion would be to pass an option that specify just that, say -d.
The advantage of this approach it that it does not add new special
characters.

A patch follows attached. I have not updated the documentation.
Regards,

José Abílio

Thank you José. I was the person requesting this, and yes, -d is better than using +.

(Deep breath.) I think ext_copy.py is only half of a pair of scripts. The other half is a "dummy exporter", something like

## dummy_export.py
## a minimal script used to 'export' the
## current document and excite the LyX
## copier mechanism into action

import sys

fin = open(sys.argv[1], 'r')  # $$i
fout = open(sys.argv[2], 'w') # $$o
fout.write('\n')
fin.close()
fout.close()

To give an example of use: if I want to copy the preview logs back from the temp directory to the document directory or a subdirectory /LOGS of it, I define a file format LOG (preview) with extension tmp. The copier is

python -tt $$s/scripts/ext_copy.py -e log -t LOGS $$i $$o

and under converters, from LyX to LOG (preview), enter

python -tt $$s/scripts/dummy_export.py $$i $$o

"Exporting" the current document to LOG (preview) format creates a file <filename>.tmp in the temp directory (containing a single linefeed character); ext_copy.py then springs into action and copies the preview logs back to the /LOGS subdirectory of the document directory. Since I use the LaTeX runs of the preview mechanism to perform various non-standard tasks, the logs are often of great interest.

Using these two scripts together like this provides a fairly simple mechanism for a user to rescue or preserve files from the temp directory. Perhaps LyX developers might include something like dummy_export.py, the "other half" of ext_copy.py, with LyX so that this mechanism is available "out of the box"?

Andrew

---