Am Donnerstag, 11. Mai 2017 um 11:59:28, schrieb José Abílio Matos
<jama...@lyx.org>
> On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 12.20.13 WEST Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> > On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 10:10:12AM +0100, José Abílio Matos wrote:
> > > In order to test the python3 support I created the fedora packages that
> > > force the usage of python 3.
> > > Attached follows the patch that I have used to force the python 3. This is
> > > a brute force approach but the main idea is that there are two places
> > > where we
> > > need to make the changes to support a custom python version:
> > Thanks for looking into this, José. I will test also with your patch
> > when I have time. If you update your patch, please post the newer
> > version.
> >
> > Scott
>
> I would like to have a permanent solution for this.
>
> What do others think regarding the python binary used?
>   a) Should it be passed through an environment variable, like $PYTHON (that
> is now is only used at build and install times, but not a run time)?

I'd prefer configurable python, that is allow use of $PYTHON at runtime too.
(Test purposes)

>   b) Should we use a variable/path exposed through the preferences that sets
> the value of $$python and such that an empty value means use the system
> default (as we have now)?

Additional to a), but which overrides which?

> The changes are trivial for configure.py:
>   a) we replace the calls to python by the binary that runs configure.py;
>
>   b) we replace python by $$python.
>
> The changes to src/support/os.cpp are more work but not by much IMHO.
>
> Regards,

or c)    Add a parameter to lyx (e.g. -python=<path>), this would override a)
and b)

        Kornel