Le 31/01/2018 à 08:20, Jürgen Spitzmüller a écrit :
Or set the default to use native everywhere and let experienced
people override that.

Yes. But then, I think, you can also drop it altogether.

Just because I propose to change the unix default? We need to have a cross platform strategy. There is no real justification for the different handling of the platforms.

The nice thing about the buttons is that they only occur when it makes
sense. And remember we do not only have "Examples". We also show
"Templates" (my favorite), "Documents", "Cliparts" (and maybe others).
And if done correctly, it could be extended to other places depending
on the context (e.g., "BibTeX databases" ($TEXMF/bib) in the BibTeX
dialog).

Yes, I thought about that since writing this message. Note that "New from template" already starts from the template directory.

Concerning clipart, I do not think that it is of much use. Most OS will have a generic place for images.

There is also the case of ui or bind files, but I think using a popup menu there would be much more useful.

This would be the best solution IMHO. But do you know how to make
setSidebarUrl work with proper entries? (I don't).

Well, first, remember that it means no native dialog.

Why? Doesn't the method work with native dialogs?

No: https://code.woboq.org/qt5/qtbase/src/widgets/dialogs/qfiledialog.cpp.html#_ZN11QFileDialog14setSidebarUrlsERK5QListI4QUrlE