On 2018-01-31, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 31.01.2018, 11:00 +0100 schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes:
>> Le 31/01/2018 à 08:20, Jürgen Spitzmüller a écrit :

>> > The nice thing about the buttons is that they only occur when it
>> > makes
>> > sense. And remember we do not only have "Examples". We also show
>> > "Templates" (my favorite), "Documents", "Cliparts" (and maybe
>> > others).
>> > And if done correctly, it could be extended to other places
>> > depending
>> > on the context (e.g., "BibTeX databases" ($TEXMF/bib) in the BibTeX
>> > dialog).

>> Yes, I thought about that since writing this message. Note that "New
>> from template" already starts from the template directory.

> Yes, I know.

OTOH, we do not have a "File>Save as template" (and I don't think we
should add it) while "File>Save as" offers the [templates] button for
easy creation of templates.

> The off thing is that it only includes the system
> directory, not the user directory (not that the buttons would solve
> that).

The examples and templates directories can be configured in
Tools>Preferences>Paths. However if changed to the user directory, the
system dir is "hidden". I worked around this with a symlink from my user
templates directory to the system one.

I expect the average user to gain from creation and use of custom
templates. Therefore I'd like to make this "dead easy".

* Set the default value for the templates to the user directory

* Either
  - add a symlink USERDIR/templates/standard/ -> LYXDIR/templates/
    when installing LyX
  or
  - merge the files in userdir and lyxdir in the "new from template"
    dialogue.

I don't expect the average user to create custom examples in
USERDIR/examples. OTOH, examples can be used as templates. Maybe we could
also add a symlink USERDIR/templates/examples/ -> LYXDIR/examples/
(Possibly in additon to a Help>Examples sub-menu.)

See also the discussion around
https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg200102.html

Günter