On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 10:08:35AM +0000, Jean-Pierre Chrétien wrote:

> Here is a proposal:
>
> "LyX is going to update MiKTeX to the last 2.9 version.
> "If you do not use MiKTeX with other applications than LyX, you can continue
> safely.
> "If you do use MiKTeX with other applications and do not want to update it
> right now or want to perform the update yourself, you may postpone LyX
> installation
> "                                  Later      Continue

I like the proposal. I've made my proposal based on yours, with several
modifications:

    The LyX installer is going to update MiKTeX to the newest 2.9
    version. If you do not use MiKTeX with applications other than LyX,
    you likely want to choose "Continue". If you do use MiKTeX with
    other applications and do not want to update it now, or want to
    perform the update yourself, you can cancel the LyX installation
    now.

                                 Cancel       Continue

I've sent the dialog to lyx-users to see whether they find it confusing.
If the feedback says that the average user would not find it confusing,
we can improve the message and ask Uwe if he is willing to add it to the
installer.

Scott