Le 11/03/2018 à 18:17, Richard Heck a écrit :

I cannot for the life of me see why adding a warning that proceeding
with the installation will require updating MikTeX, and giving the user
the option to abort the installation, could cause any problems at all.
If there's a worry that this will confuse some users, then we could add
text that says something like: If you do not use LaTeX outside of LyX,
then it is safe for you to proceed.

+1, and I will explain why below.

I never came in in this debate because I am not a Windows user at all.
However, I kept a 32bits Windows 10 boot on my wife's laptop, which I very seldomly use for mobile or gps maintenance, and which is not used by my wife at all. So I gave a try to the last Windows installer (5), bundle version (this version is not the subject of the present debate about MiKTeX update breaking things, but I wanted to have an idea of the involved dialogs).

So the install went to its end without problems, but for the same message as
racoon:

<cite>
Package "miktex-bin-2.9" is up to date.
Sorry, but "MiKTeX Package Manager" did not succeed for the following reason:

  Package "miktex-console-bin-2.9" is already installed.

The log file hopefully contains the information to get MiKTeX going again:

  C:/Users/Daniel/AppData/Local/MiKTeX/2.9/miktex/log/mpmcli.log

You may want to visit the MiKTeX project page, if you need help.
Sorry, but "MiKTeX Package Manager" did not succeed.

The log file hopefully contains the information to get MiKTeX going again:

  C:/Users/Daniel/AppData/Local/MiKTeX/2.9/miktex/log/mpmcli.log

You may want to visit the MiKTeX project page, if you need help.
There are currently no updates available.
</cite>

This are further lines saying that

  Package "miktex-console-mpm-2.9" is installed.

and installation proceeds.

I do not know where to find the log, so I saw these lines because I pressed the « En savoir plus » button in the LyX Installation progress window, I guess that an average user would not do that and thus would not be affected.

Then I opened LyX and tried to compile UserGuide.pdf. I must have been impatient because I first had an error about url.sty missing, I guess MiKTeX was still upgrading in the background. I finally got a successful compilation, but no output image because of missing pdf viewer (as I said, this Windows 10 is not used at all to parse documents). I exported to pdf via pdflatex and finally could open the file with Edge, which is thus not recognized as a pdf viewer, even after reconfigure.

After the install and the UserGuide compilation, LyX-2.3.0 dir size is 383Mo, and MiKTeX 2.9 dir size is 1.14Go. On my Debian Stretch, I have this:

$ du -skh /ext/lyx/lyx-2.3.0 /usr/local/share/lyx-2.3.0 /opt/texlive/2017/
256M    /ext/lyx/lyx-2.3.0/          (lyx compilation dir, can be removed)
42k     /usr/local/share/lyx-2.3.0   (lyx resources dir)
5.9G    /opt/texlive/2017/           (full TeXLive install)

After this record of a bundle installation on a fresh computer, I come to Richard's proposal to add a 'later/continue' dialog at the beginning of the process for the plain installer. During the installation process, I was constantly reminded that there was some external stuff name MiKTeX which asked for permission to continue:
 * either in the process of MikTeX install itself (in English, AFAIR)
* or in the process of background update when I asked for UserGuide compilation: Windows Defender opened a popup to ask if I trusted MiKTeX, and this for each package.

So the average user cannot ignore that LyX requires MiKTeX, and is bored by messages about it, so I really do not see how a further message at the beginning of the installation process would really affect him more.

Here is a proposal:

"LyX is going to update MiKTeX to the last 2.9 version.
"If you do not use MiKTeX with other applications than LyX, you can continue
safely.
"If you do use MiKTeX with other applications and do not want to update it right now or want to perform the update yourself, you may postpone LyX installation
"                                  Later      Continue

I can provide a French translation of this very quickly if needed.

As a general comment, I would strongly support a full LaTeX distribution install process rather than an update on the fly, I never did LaTeX updates between releases when I was in charge of the LaTeX distribution management in my lab (->2008, teTeX then TeXLive on Unix, and proTeXt on Windows). proTeXt size is currently 2.6Go, and is not prone to updates between TL versions.

--
Jean-Pierre