I have finally managed to build Windows installers for 2.3.0. They can
be found here:

    http://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/devel/lyx-2.3/

Let me emphasize again that

    THESE ARE FOR TESTING ONLY!!!!

I have tested them a little bit myself, but not a whole lot. They seem
to work, basically---I compiled the tutorial---but that's as far as I'm
going to go in vouching for them. My understanding of the installer code
is pretty basic at this point.

The executables were cross-compiled using MinGW on Linux. So these are
not at all the same binaries that we have previously been distributing.
The installers themselves, however, are pretty much the same, though
without the "Update MiKTeX" code, which has just been commented out. If
we want to include it, but issue some kind of warning, then I think that
will need to be translated. I know where to put the translated strings,
but I'm not entirely sure how to get them from the translators, and that
will of course take time.

Longer term, I have some thoughts about how to improve our situation on
Windows, and there's been vigorous discussion over on the user list. But
I'll save that for after we get an installer for 2.3.x.

Riki

PS Certainly one thing I've learned is that installing LyX with MikTeX
takes *forever*, and I've got a fast internet connection. It would be
nice to know what packages we need to install to compile the User Guide,
etc, and just install those, rather than every single package LyX could
possibly need. This is not trivial, since some of those are font
definitions.