On 08/24/2018 12:58 PM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
In the attached file, the LyX display shows that the lowercase "a" is
bold (see my screenshot), although it is not (as shown if you dissolve
the notes). Inside the note, the display changes when e.g. doing
"emphasize", but I cannot seem to write text that is displayed as
unbolded.

I can reproduce this back to 2.1.0. I have a feeling that this issue is
known, but I could not find the trac ticket. I looked through the bugs
in the components "font" and "insettext".

Can someone else reproduce? Is this a known issue or should I start a
new ticket?

Scott
Scott,

I confirm that your version displays the lower case a in bold in the GUI with LyX 2.3, even after saving and reopening (which updates the LyX format to 544). On the other hand, if I start from scratch and try to recreate it, I get the upper case A appearing bold and the lower case a appearing normal, as one would expect.

Diffing files, I see the problem. Your file contains the following (with empty lines removed for readability):
\begin_layout Standard
\begin_inset Note Note
status open
\begin_layout Plain Layout
\noindent                                              <-- ??
\series bold                                           <-- oops
\begin_inset Note Note
status open
\begin_layout Plain Layout
\series bold
\series default
\end_layout
\end_inset
\end_layout
\end_inset
\end_layout

When I start from scratch, the two lines I flagged are not present. In particular, that "\series bold" that you have and I don't seems to apply to the entire inner note.

As to how it got there, that I do not know.

Paul