On 08/29/2018 02:49 PM, Kornel Benko wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 29. August 2018 18:56:12 CEST schrieb José Abílio Matos
> <jama...@lyx.org>:
>> On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 18.48.55 WEST Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
>>> The problem is that layout2layout does not convert to older formats,
>>> only to newer ones.
>>> And it's not clear how it would even be possible to do that, except just
>>> to delete newer
>>> layout info.
>>>
>>> Riki
>> My remark was about converting the layout information to newer formats. :-)

Forward conversion isn't an issue: We leave the local layout as is and
run layout2layout as necessary, just as we would with external modules,
etc. Note that (when appropriate) there is also a button in Document>
Local Layout that will do the forward conversion. So we leave it to the
user to initiate the conversion, if they wish, but make it easy.

> The original problem is the local layout inside lyx.

I'll just mention that this applies both to the case of user-provided
local layout and also "forced local layout" added by LyX.

> So that the lyx2lyx is creating invalid
> lyx file if exporting to older format. For 'normal' layouts, this is not so
> urgent, because the older layout should already be available by the target
> person receiving the exported lyx-file.

Though the format tag will still be wrong, and LyX will choke when
trying to load the file. But in that case there is a very simple solution.

Riki