On 09/09/2018 18:38, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
On 09/09/2018 12:23 PM, Daniel wrote:
On 09/09/2018 18:12, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
On 09/09/2018 07:32 AM, Daniel wrote:
On 09/09/2018 01:35, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
As mentioned previously, I am not going to build a "bundled" installer
for 2.3.1. Indeed, I have removed the 'bundle' code from the installer
at 8c32a1a7 and removed the bundled installer for 2.3.0 from the
downloads page. I've added language instructing people to install a
TeX
distribution before installing LyX (as we do for OSX).

I have also written this wiki page

       https://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/TeXLive

to help people install TeXLive and this page

       https://wiki.lyx.org/LaTeX/TeXLivePackages

to help people learn how to install packages. I'd appreciate it if
people could have a look and make whatever changes or additions seem
worth making. We could probably use, on one of those two pages, a
quick
guide to updating the TeXLive packages using the GUI.

Soon, I am going to write small batch file that people can use to
install various packages that LyX might want. I'll link that off the
wiki, and probably include it in the Windows installer. I mean just
the
file itself. Not running it as part of the installer.

Riki

Thanks. That will hopefully help many users. But maybe there is still
a problem for non-English speakers?

We could work to get this translated, but I'm not sure how.

Riki

I am not sure either. Unfortunately, there are no translated
instructions on the MiKTeX and TeX Live websites either, as far as I
could see. But their installers might be or they are at least pretty
much straight forward. Maybe there could be a link in the LyX
installer that opens the download website (if they are stable)? That
might help some people to quickly get going.

It's really preferable that TeX be set up before the LyX installation. I
mean, we could create two new 'bundled' installers that did nothing but
launch the TeX install for people, but I'm not sure I see the point of that.

I think we should really re-think 'bundling' ImageMagick, etc, in the
way we do, as well. Presently, it's not at all obvious how a user could
update ImageMagick itself in the wake of the kinds of security issues
we've just seen. You'd have to re-install LyX, really...and wait for us
to release an updated installer. I guess I really need to update the
included ImageMagick, but I'm not totally sure how to do that yet.

I wasn't suggesting to install TeX after the installation. Rather, when LyX is searching for TeX but doesn't find any, it offers links to a TeX installer website and tells them to install it before proceeding with the LyX install. Since there is no automatic dependency installation, it could at least make it easier to take this hurdle in order to install LyX.

Daniel