On 9/21/18 2:06 PM, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> On 09/21/2018 01:32 PM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 01:20:21PM -0400, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
>>> I'm embarrassed to have to ask, but how does one get debug output
>>> with the
>>> Windows version of LyX (2.3 or later)? From a command window, I've
>>> tried
>>> both "start LyX2.3 -dbg all" and "cmd /K LyX2.3 -dbg all", and have
>>> tried
>>> surrounding the executable name and flags with quotes, and swearing in
>>> multiple languages while starting it, to no avail. LyX starts every
>>> time,
>>> but I get no output in the command window.
>> Please don't be embarrassed. I (sincerely) have a lot of respect for
>> anyone who attempts to debug on Windows!
>>
>> Hopefully someone else will give a more informative reply regarding the
>> command window, but you can alternatively get useful information if you
>> go to View > Messages Pane. You can make the same settings as you do
>> with the -dbg option. for example, you can click on the "Settings" tab
>> in the Messages Pane, and choose which messages you want to appear. In
>> the "Output" pane, note that you can right-click and do "Select All" to
>> paste into a separate text file. I'm guessing you already knew this, but
>> sometimes I forget about this option, so in case it is anything urgent,
>> I described it here.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Scott
> Thanks Scott. As I (simultaneously) explained to JMarc, the problem is
> that the person I'm helping never gets the LyX GUI. Starting fails
> silently. I was hoping to get debug output in the DOS window (similar
> to what I get running LyX with "-dbg all" in a Linux terminal).
>
> I really hate "failed silently" bugs. :-(

I've been meaning for a while to build a version of the LyX package that
launches a console window, for just this reason. Probably also enable
debugging symbols, so crashes might lead to more useful information. But
one might not want to use this for regular work, since the presence of
the debugging stuff might make it slow.

It shouldn't be much work to do this. Maybe over the weekend.

Riki