Dear Jean,
>> I have not however removed references to this feature in docoumentation,
>> hopefully someone more familiary with the LyX code base will know where
>> these are.
> Indeed we have to check that. I actually suspect that this feature is  not
> documented. How did you learn about it?
By the annoying status bar message and the user guide

>> And finally, I have another patch, (relying on the above) that places
>> autocorrect at the top of `InsetMathNest::interpretChar`, ensuring that
>> any autocorrections that trigger on special characters (such as '^' or
>> '~') work. In particular, you can now make an autocorrection from "<~"
>> to "\preceq"!
> How sure are you that it works?
Well I tested it... (for ~ at least).

>> On a side note, when I build LyX on windows (using MSVC 2017), I get an
>> annoying console window when I run LyX, it also seems to run slower than
>> when I build for linux.
> This is controller by the LYX_CONSOLE option of the cmake script. How do  you
> build LyX?
Oh cool thanks, I will look into it,
I build it using something like this:
cmake -D "GNUWIN32_DIR=C:\Users\Isaac\lyx\win\deps" -D
"CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=C:\Qt\5.12.3\msvc2017" -D "LYX_USE_QT=QT5" ..
msbuild INSTALL.vcxproj "/p:Configuration=Release;Platform=Win32"

With visual studio 2017, set up for an AMD64 host, and x86 target.

— Isaac