On 6/25/19 2:57 PM, Jason Sun wrote:
> I have attached a prototype in the screenshots in the attachment.
>
> This is what I am trying to achieve - combining the computing power of
> jupyter and the latex power of LyX. It is still in early stages. More
> testing and further extension could easily be developed. Ideally, one
> could do the following few things with this feature
>
> 1. Edit the ERT box inside a code editor that is embeded in LyX
> powered by QScintilla2 with syntax highlighting and clangformat.

Why is it an advantage to be able to edit the code inside LyX, as
opposed to in an external editor of one's own choosing? We have tended
to resist embedding things inside LyX that can be done just as well, or
better, by an external program devoted to the task. For example, it was
once suggested that LyX should have an embedded BibTeX editor. But why?
Better, we thought, just to allow databases to be opened in external
programs and edited there.

> 2. Copy and paste the code in the ERT or codeListing  in the lyx
> editing pane or the code in the embeded code editor  and execute them
> in the embeded jupyter-console and get output(plots) displayed in the
> console(a separate plot pane) inside LyX.

Same question, basically.

> I looked at the current 2.4 dev source files, the design for external
> editor is a good idea. However, it does not seem to close the external
> editor properly. At least I tried on vscode and atom.

We do not close the external editor ourselves. The user might want to
leave it open for some reason. (E.g., there might be other files open in
the editor.)

> I also think that the tmp file approach could be internalized.

Not sure what you mean here.

> The end goal is to enable LyX be stronger if not as strong as jupyter
> notebook.
So the overall question is: Why not instead figure out how to make LyX
work well WITH jupyter notebook?

Riki