On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 10:05:10AM -0400, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> On 3/11/20 9:45 AM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> >> There must be some reasonable way to do that. Can't be too hard.
> > I'm not suggesting the following as a solution, but perhaps it can serve
> > as a workaround: it would be easy to specify a command called
> > "editor-wrapper" that checks if the editor is running and if so uses
> > whatever mechanism that editor uses to open a file in a running instance
> > of the program; and if it is not running it starts the program as usual.
> >
> > On a separate note, I don't know if it would be useful for your use case
> > but another feature that would be useful for the case of the knitr
> > module would be the possibility to open *all* knitr chunks in a separate
> > file. The chunks could be separated by comments, and that's how LyX
> > would know how to import edits back to which insets. Currently it's
> > necessary to go to File > Export > R, do debugging there, then port the
> > fix back to the .lyx file. I'm not sure how complicated this feature
> > would be, but I log it here just in case.
>
> In 2.4.0, it should be possible to make chunks editable externally, and
> then you can open each one separately. I didn't actually add this flag.
> You might want to check it out and add it if you think it makes sense.
> It occurs to me that we might also want to have a way to define a
> particular editor to be used to edit certain insets. Now, it will always
> be the editor defined for the document format.
>
> I'm not sure about opening them all at once. What if you added a new
> inset in the meantime?

One option would be to lock editing of LyX, or of editing of those types
of insets. Another option would be that the exported file would contain
inset identifiers in comments so that LyX would know what goes where.
The comment character would be specified as a layout parameter. This is
getting complicated though, so it will be interesting to see how the
basic feature goes and get feedback on that before thinking of advanced
features.

Scott