Am 01.02.2020 um 14:48 schrieb mn <mno...@gmx.net>:

> On 26.01.20 23:51, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
>
>> I've put a Windows installer here
>>
>>     http://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/devel/lyx-2.3/LyX-234-Installer-1.exe
>>
>> for testing. The main thing is that I've updated Image Magick and,
>> frankly, am not at all sure I've done so correctly. It did manage to
>> export the User Guide, but I haven't tested preview, etc. Please let me
>> know if it's working properly. I'll plan to do the release mid-week if so.
>
> Just got around testing the Mac version.

Which Mac version did you test? The version you’ve built from source or the
official one from download?

> UserGuide.pdf on macOS with default PDF viewer is unusable.

Which version of UserGuide.pdf - the english or some other language?

> Unfortunately, UserGuide is
>
> - blank in Preview.app
> - crashing Skim.app

I cannot reproduce both of these with the german version.

> - transparency-grid empty in PDF-Expert
> - optically OK in Adobe Reader
>
> IMO most probably related to this bug
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/76273/multiple-pdfs-with-page-group-included-in-a-single-page-warning
>
> post-processing the file makes it readable in all PDF apps.

What did you do exactly?

> This seems to be not only the fault of pdftex.
> The images include with LyX trigger this?
>
> (Let me repeat again at this point that all PNGs, all SVGZs and all PDFs
> included in LyX can be also made much smaller, reducing shipping size.
> Why does nobody care about this at all?)

Do you think this is related with the reported problems?
What do you mean with *much* smaller exactly?
There are 272 png files with an total size of about 1.1 MByte.
There are 10 pdf files with a size of about 200 kBytes total.
There are 1443 svgz files with a size of about 4 MBytes total.
The shipping size of the LyX bundle is more than 127 MBytes.
Do you think reducing the images makes it *much* smaller?

Stephan