Am 04.02.2020 um 07:52 schrieb mn <mno...@gmx.net>:

> On 03.02.20 23:35, Stephan Witt wrote:
>

>>> Just got around testing the Mac version.
>>
>> Which Mac version did you test? The version you’ve built from source or the
>> official one from download?
>>

> macOS 10.12, TeXLive 2019.
> Release version of LyX 2.3.4, as per download from ftp.lyx.org
>
> (Sunday, January 12, 2020 Qt Version (run-time): 5.9.8
> Qt Version (compile-time): 5.9.8)
>
>>> UserGuide.pdf on macOS with default PDF viewer is unusable.
>>
>> Which version of UserGuide.pdf - the english or some other language?
>>

> Tried and reported on English UserGuide. Just reran again. Same difference.
> Funny enough, the German UserGuide under /de/ compiles and displays…
>
>>> Unfortunately, UserGuide is
>>>
>>> - blank in Preview.app
>>> - crashing Skim.app
>>
>> I cannot reproduce both of these with the german version.
>>

> Try again with English version.
> After multiple reboots, still broken as reported.

Multiple reboots? Why this?

Anyway, the English version doesn’t work for me too.

I'm facing a strange error:
==========
  LaTeX Error: File `footnotehyper.sty' not found.
 Enter file name:
! Emergency stop.
<read *>

l.36 \usepackage
                {amsmath}^^M
*** (cannot \read from terminal in nonstop modes)
==========

Perhaps my LaTeX installation is outdated.

Is anyone able to reproduce the problems with Linux?

>>> - transparency-grid empty in PDF-Expert
>>> - optically OK in Adobe Reader
>>>
>>> IMO most probably related to this bug
>>> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/76273/multiple-pdfs-with-page-group-included-in-a-single-page-warning
>>>
>>> post-processing the file makes it readable in all PDF apps.
>>
>> What did you do exactly?
>
> pdfsizeopt --do-optimize-fonts=no
>
>>> This seems to be not only the fault of pdftex.
>>> The images include with LyX trigger this?
>>>
>>> (Let me repeat again at this point that all PNGs, all SVGZs and all PDFs
>>> included in LyX can be also made much smaller, reducing shipping size.
>>> Why does nobody care about this at all?)
>>
>> Do you think this is related with the reported problems?
>
> Yes. But unproven for this case. UserGuide.pdf is broken for a long time
> now on PDFkit based viewers.

Sorry, I cannot verify it for now. But probably you should file a ticket then.

> UserGuide includes countless inludes/images. As for example PNG, and
> PDF, and minipages…
> In case of PNG they are probably just not optimised.

Probably, an example would be nice.

> With PDFs they look like too big *and* trigger the problem?
>
>> What do you mean with *much* smaller exactly?
>
> double digit percentage savings on average.
>
>> There are 272 png files with an total size of about 1.1 MByte.
>> There are 10 pdf files with a size of about 200 kBytes total.
>> There are 1443 svgz files with a size of about 4 MBytes total.
>> The shipping size of the LyX bundle is more than 127 MBytes.
>> Do you think reducing the images makes it *much* smaller?
>
> Not overall, as those e.g. dictionaries take up a big chunk.
> But I do not have a solution for making *them* smaller.
>
> What I do see is that image files *can* be made smaller *easily*.
>
> With pngout, advpng, optipng, trimage, imgopt, svgclean,…
>
> Regardless whether they trigger the reported bug, that should be done
> once, before shipping, saving thousands upon thousands of installed
> bytes on user's machines.

I cannot believe it makes a real difference for users.
As I said already I expect a gain of about 500k if one saves 10% of the image
size.
If anyone wants to do it the way to go is the optimization of the image
sources, IMHO.
Perhaps you can file a ticket for this too?

Stephan